Utility Crossings

The following requirements must be met when applying for a right-of-way occupancy (such as a pipeline crossing, wire crossing, conduit or cable crossing, longitudinal pipeline encroachment, longitudinal wire encroachment or longitudinal conduit or cable encroachment) on any property owned by The Maryland and Delaware Railroad Company.

Application (with Plans/Drawings)

A fully completed License Agreement Application Form must be submitted along with the required plans and drawings for the proposed project. However, before beginning an application, please see our Right of Entry Flow Chart to determine whether to follow the process on this page (for our Snow Hill Line), or whether you should immediately contact MTA (Centreville, Chestertown and Seaford Lines) for next steps.

Processing Fee

A non-refundable application fee of $1,000 must be submitted with the application. Checks must be made payable to The Maryland and Delaware Railroad Company.


If access onto MDDE-owned property is required to obtain necessary information for the application then a Right of Entry Permit must first be obtained. A Right of Entry Application is a separate application and requires the submission of a non-refundable $1,000 fee (due when the Right of Entry Application is submitted).

Construction/Engineering Specifications

Please refer to our System Wire, Conduit and Cable Standards and our System Pipeline Standards as needed to answer questions regarding permitted engineering and design standards.


The applicant must provide an exhibit/sketch of the property in question, with dimensions, with all applications. Planned improvements on the property, with dimensions from the nearest track, must also be depicted, with as many details or landmarks as possible to identify the premises.

For specific Exhibit requirements please refer to the System Wire, Conduit and Cable Standards and the System Pipeline Standards.


A general location map of the property to be used must also accompany your application. Examples include such data as county highway maps with the location marked, USGS topographical maps with the location marked, or applicable county tax maps with the area highlighted, etc. The proposed property should be highlighted, and you must indicate which direction is north.

You must also identify the rail line name and the approximate milepost location. You can find the information by using the link below to access the information in Google Earth KML format.

Download MDDE KML File


Insurance requirements, if applicable, must be met. The types of insurance and applicable limits typically required are:

- Commercial General Liability Insurance

- Railroad Protective Liability Insurance (during construction, demolition or maintenance)

The required insurance coverage for each of the above typically ranges from $3,000,000-5,000,000 per occurrence. Coverage requirements will be determined upon receipt of a License Agreement Application Form and will be based on the type of access required and/or the type of work being performed. The insurance coverage will be verified prior to the execution of any license agreement.

Review and Approvals

Once our engineering department has reviewed and approved your application, the documentation necessary to draft a license agreement will be forwarded to real estate administration. After the agreement is drafted, you will be contacted.

Before construction may commence:

- An executed copy of the agreement must be forwarded to Real Estate Administration along with a $1,000.00 processing fee and payment for the first year's rent.

- Proof of required insurance in the form of a certificate from an approved insurance carrier must be received (Note: Insurance requirements will be advised when the agreement is drafted).

Worker Protection

If required by Federal law, based on the scope of the work being performed on railroad property, we will assign an inspector and/or roadway worker in charge (which can sometimes be a “Flagman”) to observe work and/or provide the required protections for workers against rail movements. The cost of inspectors and/or roadway workers in charge will be billed to license agreement licensee. Such costs will be advised in advance at the time a license agreement is drafted.


Please plan and allow approximately six months to process your service request.

For questions, please contact us.